Newport Boat Show, or how the other half lives

The Man, my dad, and I headed out bright and early this morning to see the Newport International Boat Show and the Newport Wooden Boat Show. We traveled back roads, state roads, and interstates to get there. It was a beautiful day for a drive and the Man was a trooper, considering all the driving he's done this weekend.
It has been a crazy, busy weekend starting with Friday afternoon. We attended a wedding that was a little bit of a distance from home so we left mid afternoon Friday to get there for the five o'clock wedding. GPS took us some wacky convoluted way to the wedding. We went through cities and towns, got stuck behind school buses and found ourselves in the middle of rush hour traffic. We found out on the way home we could have stayed on the interstate almost the entire way. Grrrrrr.

~~~~~~~~~~
Don't you love the boat above? So majestic looking.
Dad and the Man taking it all in. These boats were unbelievable. Most of them were in the $500,000 range with a few in the $1M and up range.

They were absolutely gorgeous. Shiny. Pristine. You couldn't board without taking your shoes off.

~~~~~~~~~~

I love spending time with my dad. He's smart and funny and witty and fun to be with. He tells us stories of his childhood and listens to our stories about J and K. He smiles a lot and he likes to laugh. He got that from his momma, the famous Nan.

But time is passing and I'm treasuring all these moments with him. We try to do something with him once a week, whether it's taking him to a movie or having him over for dinner or inviting him to the boat show with us. I know how fast time goes by and I don't want to miss out on time spent with my dad.

I hope when J and K are older, and I'm older, they think the same way and remember to spend time with me and the Man.

No one loves you like your parents. And all they want is time with us. At least, that's what I want from my kids so I'm thinking that's what other parents want to. Is this true, parents?
I think the Man wants to buy a boat. 

But not one of these. We are NOT in the 1%.

~~~~~~~~~~
As we were walking around, we noticed a lot of international accents talking to the brokers. I'm thinking they are in the 1%. I can't even imagine the life style you have when you are contemplating buying a boat for half a million dollars. Or more.

That's some lifestyle.
The Man wants a little sailboat to putter around in when we go to the beach.  I want a boat with a fast motor so we can go zoom, zoom, zoom.

We may have to buy two boats.
It was foggy and gray when we got to Newport. But the sun came out and washed that fog away. 

Go away, fog. You're wrecking my pictures.
 Moody shot.
Another moody shot.

~~~~~~~~~~

I love seeing all these boats. They are works of art. I want one. Or five.

Someday.

Comments