Shenanigans, or the Great Flying Coffee Debacle


Good golly, what a day.

It was full of shenanigans.
__________

We had an early morning staff meeting so I had to get to the library much earlier than I normally do. On staff meeting days, I'm the first one in. I open up all the workstations, record the daily statistics, turn on the coffee makers, copiers, etc. 

People start trickling in, gathering in the workroom and chatting for a few minutes, gradually working their way down to the meeting room. We have one staff member, Miss P, who is almost always late and is usually the last person to get to the meeting. It's a running joke and we love to tease her about being late all the time.

So I came out of the workroom to head down the hallway and I saw Miss P a few steps ahead of me.

"Hey! Where are you going?" I asked, to slow her down.

"To the meeting,' she replied, giving me a funny look.

"Well, you're not beating me to the meeting!" I said, and took off running so I could beat her to the meeting room. She saw me start to run and she started to run, determined to get to the meeting room first. 

I don't know how it happened.

One minute I'm running fast, getting ready to pass her and the next minute, I'm airborne, splayed out like a flying squirrel. My coffee went up in the air then crashed down, lid popping off and liquid spraying everywhere. 

I was spread out on the floor and sliding along the carpet. I slid about five feet before coming to a stop. Miss P squawked and ran to help me. I slowly got up and gathered my papers. Then we both went and got lots of paper towels to absorb the coffee.

By the end of the staff meeting, I was starting to feel sore. I had a large rug burn on my left elbow and a very large rug burn on my right knee. And my left knee wasn't feeling so hot either.

Oy vey. No more shenanigans. 

But I think I beat Miss P when I slid past her for a moment.

Comments