Speaking Icelandic

Flying the coop. Hitting the road. Getting out of Dodge. Making a run for it.

I don't blame them. It's starting to get dark around here and the cold should be setting in pretty soon. Snow should start flying any day now. We usually see flurries in October but this year was unusually warm so no white stuff appeared.

Whew.
__________

Speaking of snow, the Man and I started watching a series called "Trapped". It's set in Iceland, in a small fishing village in a fjord. It's a murder mystery about a torso found in the fjord by a local fisherman. No arms. No legs. No head.

Blech.

At the same time, a ferry from Denmark has arrived at the port. The police chief has his hands full trying to solve this case with lots of foreigners around. It's early February, snow is swirling and blowing all around. Cars are fishtailing and flying off the roads. Avalanches. Mayhem everywhere. It's a lot to keep up with. And they are speaking Icelandic so there are subtitles but you get used to them fairly quick. When the Danes speak, they speak Danish and again, there are subtitles.

So we were watching an episode and the Icelandic and Danish is flying and I was reading subtitles and getting caught up in the whole story. After a little bit, I started hearing things in English and thought, "Wow, I must be getting pretty good at picking up these languages. They're starting to sound like English to me!" Engrossed, I kept watching, marveling at my ability to understand a foreign language.

Then the Man burst my linguistic bubble.

"Why are they speaking English?" he asked. I looked at him and then looked at the television, still not quite making the connection that they were actually speaking English. 

Finally it clicked in. They WERE speaking English. 

Hunh.

It took a little bit but we figured out that the Icelanders and the Danes were using English as a common language. Guess I'm not quite as smart as I thought I was.

It's a good series. Watch it if you get a chance.

Comments