Slow Steps

Mom is slowing down. At 92, she's entitled. 

I had to take her to see the doc yesterday. Her shoulder has been bothering her terribly when the forecast is for rain/snow. Mom is the least complaining person I know. She would hate to think she's putting anyone out by asking for anything. So when she starts yelping because she's raised her shoulder the wrong way, we pay attention. 

But even with all the pain she was in she didn't want to bother the doc. I had to insist that we tell the doc about the pain in her shoulder. She finally relented and agreed we could report the pain. When I went into her room to let her know it was time to leave for her appointment, she winced. I think she was afraid to move which only made me more determined to talk to the doc.

It was slow going getting her to the car. Mom uses a walker because she's not too steady on her feet. She walks very slowly and surely with the walker though. She was able to get out onto the back porch but I had to help her down the few stairs we have leading down to the driveway. There was a little snow on the ground so I decided to step down each step with her, keeping my arm around her back and waist in case she slipped. When I put my arm around her, she put her arm around me and leaned her head onto my shoulder.

"I love you," she said softly. 

And we walked slowly to the car. One of those moments I don't want to forget.

On the way home, we stopped to pick up a few prescriptions. It was near lunch so I suggested McDs. She loves, loves, loves chicken nuggets and french fries. As soon as I mentioned it, she perked up and gave me a big smile.

"Don't forget the barbecue sauce!" she said.

I think she was starting to feel better already.
__________

A little bitty snowstorm a few weeks had me running inside for my striped scarf. I love all that color against the snowy woods.


Comments